Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Sweet Emotions

molsonCreating a brand is a difficult, well-thought-out process involving many layers of strategy and purpose. When a brand is presented to the public we either embrace it, loathe it or it falls somewhere in between indifference and tolerance. But branding becomes emotional for the consumer. We get attached to our favourite brands, forming relationships with them like they were people in our lives. But just like people, brands can be fickle, and can leave us feeling betrayed when we least expect it.

For example, Molson Brewing Company, the second oldest company in Canada, founded only after the Hudson's Bay company in Montreal in 1786 has been the pride of Canada for centuries. Their famous "I am Canadian" campaign warmed the Canadian heart even further toward the brand in 2000. But then in 2005 Molson did the unthinkable to Canadians proud of their historic export and merged with American beer company Coors. Many Molson loyals felt betrayed, outraged and sold out.

Similarly I was disappointed when Fido was purchased by Rogers. Rogers  lost my trust by hiking up my monthly fees and tacking on an extra 2 years to my contract when I had to replace my lost phone. I was thinking of switching to Fido when I heard it had been purchased by Rogers and they were now going to be one and the same. Now I have to look even further for my wireless needs. But I felt personally disappointed by Fido, I had been rooting for them. They were the underdog and I wanted to champion them. Somehow I had become emotionally invested in that company.

I suppose the point I'm trying to make is that brands need to take into account the decisions they make, even at a corporate level, as a way of effecting their image in the public. If you want to merge with another company, or lay off 10,000 workers, your brand fans will find out. And they may not see you in quite the same way afterwards. People don't like to feel betrayed or deceived. When it comes to branding, quit playing games with our hearts.

By phyatt with No comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment